Case Report

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Mechanical Ventilation: Case Report Literature Review


  • Başar Cander
  • Z. Defne Dündar
  • Çetin Yaylalı
  • Ayşegül Bayır
  • Sadık Girişgin

Received Date: 12.01.2009 Accepted Date: 12.04.2009 Eurasian J Emerg Med 2010;9(4):179-181

Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most common lethal poisonings. Neurological or psychiatric sequelae occur in approximately 50-75% of survivors. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be treated with 100% oxygen or hyperbaric oxygen. The Glasgow Coma Scale (GKS) of the male patient who was admitted to our emergency department with CO intoxication due to a heater was 4. The patient’s transport to a hyperbaric oxygen treatment center was considered but the conditions were not suitable for transport, so 100% oxygen treatment with mechanical ventilator was initiated. The patient was weaned from the mechanical ventilator at day 5 and he was extubated when his spontaneous breathing was adequate. He was discharged from hospital at the end of the follow-up period, day 14. His general condition was quite good and his GKS was 15 at discharge . Although most of the studies suggested that hyperbaric oxygen treatment was more effi cacious in carbon monoxide poisoning, other studies stated that there was no diff erence between hyperbaric oxygen and 100% oxygen treatment.There is a general opinion that the supportive treatment is very important for survival.

Keywords: Carbon monoxide, poisoning, hyperbaric oxygen, mechanical ventilation